Whatever your personal storage needs, the chances are you’ll find a solution in self-storage. The self-storage industry has seen a boom over the past few years as individuals and families realize that this is a cheaper and more flexible solution than traditional storage.
If you talk to self-storage companies, you’ll hear a wealth of stories about the odd and very personal things that people store and why. Most self-storage facilities will boast that they’ll store anything, for any reason – no questions asked. Obviously, there are some items that self-storage facilities cannot legally store and it’s wise to check with the company first if you are unsure about what they will accept.
There are hundreds of reasons why people opt for self-storage for personal use, the most common of which include:
- To simply free up space in your home.
- As a store for all or part of your personal possessions while you move house or are between houses.
- When moving from a large home to a smaller one.
- To keep personal clutter out of your home while you are trying to sell it.
- To help with space as a family expands.
- To keep valuable and personal items secure while taking an extended holiday if you’re renting out your home whilst away.
- To keep collections and memorabilia in one place.
- To store seasonal items such as garden furniture or tools if you don’t have a dry place or space to keep them at home.
- To store clothes on a seasonal basis – i.e. your winter wardrobe is in storage in summer and changed for your summer wardrobe in winter.
- As a storage space for recreational vehicles when not in use – these can include boats, motor homes, caravans, motorcycles and cars.
- For students to store their personal possessions during holiday periods when they have to move off campus. Students also take up self-storage units after graduation before they decide where they will ultimately move.
- As temporary storage for personal items whilst decorating.
- To store sports equipment and bulky leisure items such as surfboards or windsurfers, either on a seasonal or permanent basis.
With minimum 1 month rental periods and flexible notice periods, self-storage is a quick, cheap and effective solution for your short-term personal needs when compared to more traditional storage methods. You can access your stored items if you need to, have control over how they are stored and can feel confident that they will be secure on site. The self-storage rental fees you pay will include basic services such as lighting, security measures and rates.